Sunday, September 27, 2020

An Introduction to my Mediocre Life

Hello and welcome to my introduction blog post! I’ll be talking a bit out what the last 6 months have been like and also what my last year of college was like! I hope you enjoy it! 

 

So, I started college about this time last year and boy, to say I was nervous was an understatement. I finished secondary school in 2017, then went into a PLC in Westmeath after that I worked for a year and then came to college. It was a big step from working in Roscommon to moving to Dublin and going to college here. Thankfully the majority of my friends lived in Dublin already as they were also going to college. So, the idea of them being close put me at some ease. I got a hang of the busses fairly quick (thank god), although sometimes stressful. Sometime in the middle of first year a tv show came out called “Inside the K” showing all the crimes happening in the area I was living in, it made my culchie parents VERY nervous. Anyways, college was going great until of course, Ms. Rona came about. Online college was okay, it was difficult to learn online. I’m the type of person who needs the face to face kind of engagement to learn to my full capability. Now, saying that I got on great in the results. In secondary school if I got 40% and passed the subject I was over the moon; it was difficult for me to learn all the information and then just regurgitate it back out for an exam. So, when I came to college and actually enjoyed what I was learning and could pass modules and not just pass but getting mostly A’s??? It was a whole new feeling. Now saying that it was first year so come back to me in a year and see if it’s maintained. 

 

Once college finished for the summer there was nothing left for me to do. When I say I live in the middle of nowhere I mean it. I live on the Roscommon-Galway border, but I am a proud (sometimes ashamed, depends what we’re in the news for) Roscommon girl. My mam is from Offaly so I’m not sure if that makes me more of a culchie? (It probably does). I mentioned that as I am currently wearing my half and half jersey. My mam surprised me with it with Lowry written on the back (my mams side of the family), it is hilarious to look at. Anyways, back to summer I was saying how I live in the middle of nowhere. So, when the lockdown happened and we were allowed to go 2km away from our houses, it was a disaster. There’s nothing within our 2km. We live between two rural villages, but even at that, they weren’t between the 2km. My mam is a healthcare worker and my older sister was the designated person to check on my nanny as she’s 90 and was cocooning. So, the rules were very much imposed here. When we finally could go the 20km, technically I couldn’t see my friends STILL. They were all over 20km away but I had spent far too much time with my family (sorry guys love you and all but only so much time I can spend with you) but they ended up coming to my house and we sat outside by the firepit my dad had made during the quarantine and of course 2 meters at least between us all. If it wasn’t for my friends, I would’ve lost my mind far more times than I did, proof of this? I shaved my head TWICE.



Photo caption: A selfie showing off my shaved head.


My friends and I decided to book a staycation for when the lockdown was over, and we went up to Gweedore in Donegal. Honestly If you’ve never been to Donegal please go (well once lockdown is over). It’s the most beautiful place in Ireland, hands down. We only went for 2 nights but we had the best time, stayed in a gorgeous house with the best views! We drove around, went to loads of different beaches and just explored! We also went on different day trips after lockdown lifted to Connemara and Achil to name a few


Photo Caption: A photo taken by me in Donegal - Photo is of a beach in Derrybeg

Photo Caption: A photo of my friend Genevieve and I standing on rocks at a beach in Donegal.

Photo Caption: A photo of my friends and I at a beach in Connemara 


 

I took up knitting during quarantine too! Well, this was when shops were back opened. I am an avid One Direction fan, and I was on TikTok (also an avid TikTok fan) there was a trend of people knitting Harry Styles’ Famous JW Anderson Cardigan which is gorgeous! I had fallen in love with the cardigan the second I saw it. So, I decided why not?? I wasn’t doing anything else! I had only knitted when I was really young, so I’m really surprised it worked and looks amazing! The brand that made the one of a kind cardigan JW Anderson, released a pattern to follow and I followed that and watched a couple of videos! They ended up liking and commenting on my progress throughout which I was tweeting about! I am super proud of what I made and I’m thinking I might knit myself a jumper too. The question is am I turning 82 in two weeks or 22? Feeling like it’s 82. 

 



Photo caption: Me wearing the cardigan I knitted.



Photo caption: A picture of the back of the cardigan.


Anyways, enough of me ranting and waffling on. I’m so sorry if someone had to read this all. None of it really connected and I just rambled on but hey you now know loads of pointless information about me! :) 

 

Thanks for reading!!

Megan

20 comments:

  1. Hi Megan! I'm really proud of you for finishing your Harry Styles inspired cardigan, it looks absolutely amazing. It must be really hard travelling up and down between Roscommon and Dublin so I feel like online classes now aren't too much of a hassle! I would kill for a drive down to Donegal but I haven't even thought about a license so your friends seem like really cool people for organising this trip with you<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan! Looking at this blog post you wouldn't even know Covid-19 existed, you look like you had the time of your life this summer! I was in two parts of Donegal too this summer it was my first time and I loved it! I shaved my head too and don't think I'll ever go back to be honest, bad hair days don't exist when you don't have any! Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan!! I really enjoyed reading your amazing blog post. It was very interesting to read what you got up to during the summer and lockdown. It seemed like you had a good summer apart from the pandemic and your rural setting (just like me). Congratulations on your fabulous college results, you obviously put a lot of time and effort into your work. Your Harry Styles cardigan also bangs and it looks very impressive. Im also glad it got acknowledged by the creator of the original cardigan!! PS. The images add so much life and personality to your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Megan !!! I loved reading your blog post. I didn't know you did a PLC before college, thats so interesting. Sounds like you had a nice summer, that part of Donegal looks fabulous. I have always wanted to visit there, always wanted to live there and get the donegal accent haha. Your cardigan is fabulous !!! I love that you are a proud Roscommon girl. I love the countryside. We have a house in Leitrim which we visit quite a lot so you could technically neighbours(well part-time)! Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Megan!
    I have never been to Donegal although it’s on my “Ireland - places to go” list hihihi (the beach is so pretty -).
    The moment I saw the cardigan I was like “owwwww that’s so cuuute, argh adorable” hahahah congrats for doing it! (Hoping to see it in college someday >.<). Btw, I’m very happy for you that the creator of the original cardigan liked and commented about it!
    P.S.: I loved your intro post :)
    Lívia Alencar <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meghan~~~~ I really love your Harry Styles inspired cardigan the you made! I saw it your Instagram before but I still find it really cool~
    I love the beach photo that you took making me missed summer T____T

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Megan, I loved reading your introduction blog to get to know you a bit better, as I didn't as much last year hopefully this year now that we are in the same group we will get to know each other!
    I have already needed your help with some modules thanks for that .I wish I was able to knit something like that or be able to knit at all haha, its so good. Goodluck with this year hopefully we will be back on college soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan!! Your blog is looking so good! Would you stop with the mediocre stuff you look like you've been having a blast. Delighted for you that you got the Harry Cardy finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Megan,

    Oh god I knew clicking onto this blog would mean id either read about harry styles or the sims and god was I right. Looks like you had a lot of fun this summer even with all the Covid stuff going on which is good. Cant wait for us to get together with the group and have our classic weather-spoons meals.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Megan, I’m sorry to hear that you had a hard time over the summer and I’m glad that you’re back this year in college. It’s also nice to see that you are doing well with the new subjects, and I hope that you’re able to keep it up as you definitely deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Megan! Wow really nice read, enjoyed every bit of it. I can completely relate to you about living in the middle of nowhere haha, well maybe not to your extent but close. Looks like you had a great summer considering the considering the rona. One of my friends was in Donegal and they said the exact same thing. I will definitely be going there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Megan! Hope your keeping well. Really enjoyed reading this introduction this was a really enjoyable read. I defiantly am a little jealous about all your trips round the country. The furthest I got was to the firepits of my mate’s houses (social distanced obviously). Your jumper looks amazing btw. How long did that take you to do, I can't imagine it being a short amount of time.

    ~John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hola Megan,
    First of all I really want that cardigan you knitted it looks unreal and really cozy, maybe ill take up knitting now!! I love One Direction they were a really good band, Nialler is the best though hands down. I love Roscommon, I go there every summer, to Lough Key and Boyle I love it there. Well I really feel like I've gotten to know you well over the past ten minutes reading your blog. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Megan, hope you're coping okay with this year! I've definitely found it challenging too so you're far from alone there. I loved your pictures of Donegal, it looks stunning and I'll be adding it to my list of places to visit! I can't imagine living in the middle of nowhere, I've lived in towns all my life. Hope you enjoyed the contrast of the back arse of nowhere and Dublin city!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Megan good to meet you
    First of all I was in the same bout as you after secondary school I took a PLC course to help me get a feel of what college would be like. Before that I thought It would be hard by my cousins told me college was actually easier then secondary and so far there right. Donegal looks beautiful ill be be sure to add visiting there to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Megan,
    I'd say living in Dublin is very different than Roscommon. I really am jealous of you.. I wish I lived closer to the west coast. Seeing the picture of Derrybeg, I honestly thought it was dog's bay. It looks very similar, if you haven't been there already is one good place to go visit!
    College is harder now thats all online. I'm the same I prefer learning in person. Hopefully we will be back soon.
    Thats it from me, Denis.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Megan,
    How are you? Just finished reading your introduction post and I must say what a great job you did writing it! You covered loads of important topics in a way it was really easy to read and digest. I also love the photos you have included! I am amazed at how aesthetic your blog is. The colour combinations throughout are brilliant and it was super easy to navigate through! Looking forward to reading more of your blogs, all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Megan,

    Rona had got us all locked up in our homes and it's been a struggle but I couldn't imagine living the middle of nowhere haha. But it does seem you've had a difficult time during that whole quarantine. For me it wasn't too bad, I'm mostly an introverted person so I don't mind staying at home but when quarantine was lifted it was like I've been set free. But anyway, hope you enjoy this year and I hope it doesn't get much worse than this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Megan your introduction post was so good and made mine look like a sham. I can not believe you knitted the harry styles cardigan you are a queen! I wanted to do that so bad when I was on the harry styles/cottage core side of tiktok but once we came out of lockdown it never happened hehe. Sound like you had a great summer

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Megan,

    I can't believe it's taken me this long to get you from the blog randomizer! I should've commented on your blog way earlier in the semester but sure, better late than never I guess. I'll be honest, a little surprised by the lack of Sims 4 content but the One Direction content was very expected. You're summer seemed a lot more eventful than mine! The travelling looked super fun, hopefully we can all get back to that soon enough!

    ReplyDelete