Thursday, December 3, 2020

Unity Tutorial 9

Hello and welcome back to my blog, for this weeks unity tutorial we were given a choice to follow the ones provided or to follow ones that would be useful for our games! So I decided to write up about two that I did for my game! 

I followed this tutorial first, I found it great to follow! It is a tutorial about how to collect coins, add a sound when collecting the coin and making the UI display how many coins you've collected. I had originally a different video for collecting coins and I followed it through twice but it just wouldn't work for me. I was able to pick the coins up and add the sound but it wouldn't make the UI display how many coins I had collected. This was a pain so I had to hunt for another which is the one linked above. It is 13 minutes long and goes through every step and it was really clear. Thankfully I followed each step and it came out perfect and I then made copies of the coins and put 20 of them all around my map for the player to collect. I am delighted it worked for me and it really makes my game look a lot better. 

A screenshot I took of the YouTube Tutorial.


This is the second tutorial I followed, It is to add a countdown timer in your game. It is again a really easy tutorial to follow. I also found one before this to do with adding a lap timer and had it finished before I realised this is not what I wanted. I'm really not sure what I was doing adding it in, clearly was half asleep. So I ended up finding the one linked above after wasting 30 minutes trying do follow the lap timer one. The one I followed though was much better, it was just a simple countdown one. I have it in my game now it doesn't work though so I need to work on that this week that when the countdown finishes the game will be over and you'll either win or lose. I have it at 40 seconds right now but I know it'll need to be much faster. I'm struggling with making it faster so not sure what I'm going to do yet but hopefully will figure it out, then I'll be able to set the timer for however long I need it and it'll work great!

Thanks for reading and I hope it was helpful to someone :)

-Megan

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meghan!

    I was also having trouble finding a suitable tutorial, for my game for this weeks lab but fortunately I was able to find some. I'm glad that you're not having so much trouble in your game since coding can be pretty difficult if you don't have enough resources that can help you. Adding a timer in your game is also really cool and I feel like it would make the game more exciting and challenging~

    I also think that being able to pick our own tutorials are very handy because we are finding resources that are essential to our game makes it quicker for us to complete the project. In the other hand , it could also be hard to find suitable tutorials that we really want for our game. I hope that you're not having to much problem with your game and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete