Saturday, October 24, 2020

Game Vision Statement

Introduction:

To start off my game is called “Drive Baby Drive!” I came up with the idea during brainstorming a few weeks ago. It suddenly came to my head as I don’t have much gaming experience and the ones I do are mostly simple games that I played when I was younger or games available on the app store! So when it came to my head I was very happy, I thought it was doable with the skills and time I have! The game will be set in a rural setting. There will be a road and you will have to avoid obstacles on the road. You can, of course, drive off-road but there will be more things to crash into. While driving you have to collect coins and the majority of coins will be on the road but some will be off-road to make it harder. There will be a timer counting down and you will have to collect the coins in the time. The car will be going fast to make it harder.

Gameplay:

You spawn at the same point every time you start the game. When the game starts you will see it count down from 3 when it counts down you will be able to start your game. The timer will start counting down. You will need to collect all the coins before the timer runs out in order to win. You will have to avoid obstacles placed all around the track. If you hit obstacles its game over. If you don’t collect enough coins in the game before the timer runs out it is also game over. If you win there will be an end win screen saying you’ve won and if you lose there will be an end screen saying you’ve lost.

Key Features:

The key features of the game are as follows.
  • Driving a car around a track
  • Avoiding obstacles that are on the track
  • Collecting coins along the way.
  • Doing it in a certain time limit.
  • If you collect the coins in the time limit you win.
  • If you crash or fail to collect the coins you lose.

Game Genre:

The genre of the game would be a mix of racing and vehicle simulator. I would mix the two as you aren’t racing other people but you are still racing against the clock and trying to complete the requirements during that time. It’s like if you were to mix temple run and a car game.

Platforms:

As I am only a beginner this game will only be playable on a PC/Laptop.


Resources required:

I will need to use various different resources for the game, I aim to get them from the asset store. I have researched different ones and I will be getting a skybox, different materials for the ground so it’ll look more real. I also will be getting the car from there, the collectables and the obstacles. They really have an array of items available on it. I want to add trees too so I will get them from the asset store too.

Link(s) to sources:

I will be using different YouTube tutorials in order to help me make this game. I have done a lot of research and I think I have everything I need for any of the element to be added to the game correctly. I suspect I might need more or if I get through them and some aren’t up to scratch or aren’t the best I will browse YouTube for more as there are so many available. Below are links to different videos I will use.

This video I found really useful. Of course, I didn’t sit down and watch the whole six hours yet but I aim to watch it when making the game. I skipped through different bits and he goes through how to make the basic racing game, which includes a track, a countdown, timer and working cars. It also includes terrain at different levels to make it more interesting. I will probably use that to make sure at different parts you can’t go outside the track. Maybe even to build a jump for the car to go on. 




This video seems really useful to make the coins make a sound when you collect them. It also shows how to display how many coins you’ve collected onscreen. I think this is really useful as I will be displaying how many coins you have collected.


Another video I am watching is this one. This video shows you how to collect coins and make them disappear after collecting them! I want this to happen to avoid collecting a coin twice so I will use this. 



They are the main videos I am using in order to make this game.

Concept Art:

Below is a quick sketch of an idea I had for the map of the track. Also a sketch of the coin and obstacles.
Sketches I did of different things I want in my game.


-Megan

4 comments:

  1. Hey Megan,

    First I wanna say that your Vision statement is really well put together. I love your name for the game ad also your concept as I am doing a puzzle game so I like the variety you have and I almost went with a car so I'm glad someone is doing one. I think you have planned out your game very well and thoroughly and explained it extremely well . I like how you have the option to go off road but that it kinda come at a price in terms of it's more challenging for the player.

    I wonder are you going to make it so that the player has a option of vehicles or is it just the one car. Also if the player decides not to go off road does that mean they will lose because there are coins off road?

    I do have some advice for you that could benefit your game. This is to add music in the background. I don't know if you have already thought about this or not.

    I hope my TAG Feedback can help you. I can't wait to see the finale product.

    ~John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan
    Its definitely an interesting idea you have hear making a driving game, I'm doing a maze game myself. Its impressive to see that you have it all figured out. The videos are also vary helpful in seeing what you have in mind for this game. Also don't wory about resurses you can all sorts of thing in the assets store that are free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan, "Drive Baby Drive" sound like a really good game idea. I really like the idea of being able to drive off road to be honest. Most games don't really let you do so. Now, the extra obstacles off-road is understandable and fun. It really seems like you know what you're doing. I can't wait to see the finished game! Denis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again Megan! Hope all is well with you. I have just completed reading your vision statement. I have to say this statement is really well written so well done! It is obvious you have put a lot of time and effort into your game idea by researching. I get a great kick out of driving games they are so fun. It is clear you are well on your way to creating a great game. I cannot wait to play it, I hope everything goes as planned! Goodluck!!!

    ReplyDelete