Friday, November 27, 2020

Drive Baby Drive! - Alpha

Hello and welcome to this week's post for the project task! This week we had to spend three hours at our game, improving it and working away at it. I hope you enjoy this post!

So I started off where I finished last week and that was with my coins working aka being collected but it wasn't counting them. I redid the tutorial and it wouldn't work for me so I gave up on the one I was using and instead went to find another one. I found this one on YouTube and it worked for me straight away which was great! It even included a sound which was perfect as that's what I was aiming to add anyways.

So, I went off and added 20 coins to the game, of course, this took longer than expected as I had to place them all around the big track. Eventually got it done and tested it and they all work. I realised while doing this my car is going so slow compared to at the start. I have no idea why. I spent ages trying to make it go faster by editing it. Nothing was working, it was a prefab car on the asset store with a lot of code, I may have to make my own if I can't figure it out. It takes 3+ minutes to go around the track and it's just not fun going so slow. So, next week I plan on googling it and seeing if there's anything I can do and if not I'll start fresh with a new car. It definitely went faster at the beginning.

I then had to pause and think about what was the best thing to work on next. I decided to colour the car as it was a comment I was getting a lot on my blogs, not going to lie I didn't know I could. So I googled that and realised it was as easy as dragging and dropping and making the material so that was great. I changed it to red and blue to add a bit of spice. 

I wanted to add an end screen so I was looking up videos on how to do that and was about 20 minutes into looking and watching a few when I realised I should add the obstacles first and then I can code them when they're hit you lose. I realised this as I came across a tutorial with that in it. So I went to find some obstacles to add to my game, I had a few saved on the asset store so I downloaded a chicken and a railing. Both quite random but there wasn't much on the asset store and I thought the chicken would be funny. 

I then looked up tutorials about the obstacles being hit and to come up saying you lost and was working on that until I got an error with that when trying to connect the car to the new script so again a problem with the car so I might have to get another one. I left it there as I had somehow hit over three hours and felt like my eyes were square looking at the screen. 

Below are screenshots from my game!

screenshot from my game

screenshot from my game

screenshot from my game

screenshot from my game

I tried to show movement in the pictures to hit the chicken (if it was coded in it would be game over) and then collecting the coin and it goes up by one! You can also see my cool new car colour.

Hopefully, next week will be better and I'll get it nearly completed! But anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed :) 

-Megan

3 comments:

  1. Hey Megan, wow your game looks great so far I wish mine looked as good as this only at alpha part!. I liked the contrast between the blue and the red on the car the wheels really pop. Just wondering are you going to make the coins different colours maybe the different colours mean different things such as slowing down could be green and to go faster is blue? I like the end of the end screen I say this took a while it even sounds complicated. I like the environment of the game it looks great ! can't wait to see it when its all done, Best of luck with it- Niamh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan, it's Aoibhe. I hope you are doing well. I just had a read through your project blog and wow, your game already looks so good!! Well done, I can see the work that you have put in already. I love how you inserted lots of screenshots from your game in this blog, it really game me a feel for what your game would be like to play. Sorry to hear that the car keeps slowing down, I wonder is it slowing down because of the coins, maybe there is too many and it can't load them all while also moving the car, this is just a thought as I haven't a clue really how unity works haha. I love that you have put in chickens and that if you hit them you lose, but what if the player has 3 lives and only if they hit 3 chickens then they lose. - Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan! Unity is really frustrating so I understand your pain! I hope you find a cool car that works on the assets store, it's kind of stupid that the car is giving you problems nearly at the end of the semester but you still have the whole map done and the coins done so that's overall really good progress. Will you have any particles when you hit the chicken? Or any noises when you collide with it? Maybe one of those minecraft noises when the chicken gets hit. I'm really glad the coins are working for you though, do you have a noise for when you get the coin? -Anna Zurawska

    ReplyDelete