Monday, November 2, 2020

Unity Tutorial 5

Hello and welcome to this week's blog post about the unity tutorial!

I enjoyed this week tutorial, with a few moments with an exception. Overall it was really enjoyable as we were learning new things we haven't done before like the animation! I found this really useful and it really made sense to me by the end.

I was mid-way through it and suddenly I got an error and was so confused as the man in the tutorial didn't get one and I swore I had it exact! I literally spent 30 minutes re-reading his and my code and I couldn't figure it out. I even googled it hoping for something, but I couldn't find anything. Turns out I had written gameObject instead of gameOver... I have no idea how I didn't see it; I was about to give up and all. It's strange how the smallest of things will make your game unplayable.

I then had another problem to do with another mis type that I can’t remember now but it didn’t match up and I actually figured it out myself. I thought okay so if this doesn’t work it has to be in the spawn controller and it was! I was delighted that I could see this from just a bit of code not working. That is what I needed to realise okay maybe this is actually going into my head! Before this I was sure none of this was actually sticking, so who knows maybe it is now. Saying that I don’t think I would be able to do it again alone but hey little steps.

Apart from them two small problems I flew through the tutorial and I am really happy with the outcome. I definitely learned things in it that will be useful in my game! Hopefully I can implement them correctly! 

Screenshot of my game from the unity tutorial



Thanks for reading!

-Megan

2 comments:

  1. Hi Megan, I enjoyed reading through your blog post and hearing all about your experience with the unity tutorials! I am glad to see I am not alone and that you also mis type code and spend ages wondering how to fix it because I do this too and it gets really frustrating and then to realise its such a small mistake!! - Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan! How are youu? I always enjoy reading your blog because they are all just so easy to read and it has a friendly vibe to it that I can always relate to hahaah. I was also having trouble with the Unity tutorial where I even spent HOURS to fix it and it was just even the first few steps of the first lesson! I got so frustrated and I wasted so much time trying to fix and start it. I'm glad that everything turned out well to yours and you were able to fix it by yourself.

    -Flosie

    ReplyDelete