Saturday, November 14, 2020

Prototype - Drive Baby Drive!

Welcome to this weeks blog post :)

This week for the project our aim was to spend about 3 hours working on a prototype of our game. This was scary to start off with, it was just daunting to actually start our own game. There has been so much talk and this was just going to make it very real.
To begin with, I started by watching this tutorial and following along. It's 7 hours long and goes through all you would want in a car game. Although, I don't plan on using this fully as I want my game to be unique. I ended up watching an hour of it and following it along when I needed to. It was to get the basics and that really helped me get off to a good start. I started off by making a track for the car to go on I raised the edges of the track so the car has a specific way to follow. I used the terrain tool for that. This took me far too long as I was also colouring the road and the edges different colours. I also did the track three times before being happy with it. The first time I did it, I hadn't brought the car in yet and it turned out to be too small and the second one was hard to turn quickly with the car.


I got the car from the standard assets package on the Unity store. It was really handy! Here's a link for anyone who needs it. It includes water, cars, trees, a rollerball and so much more! I brought the car in and it worked straight away which was really handy! I started to use it for testing the game and it eventually worked!


I brought in trees from that package to make it feel more like a real game and I think they really added something to the game! I might get rid of some in the future though I'm not too sure! Finally, I attached the camera to a cube above the car instead of the car so it will be more stable. Below are some screenshots of the game!

A screenshot I took of my track.

A screenshot I took of the car on the track (The green is so I know when I do one lap, I will change this in the future).

A screenshot I took while testing the track.



So far no major difficulties and this is purely because I didn't code much. I know when I start to properly get into coding and adding objects and collectables it'll become harder! I messed up the little coding I did do and it was a mistype. They seem to be my worst enemy!! I know there's much more to do in the future but I'm happy with how much I got done in three hours! It just looks more possible for me to actually finish this!

Thanks for reading! 
-Megan

7 comments:

  1. Megan, wow! Your assets are crazy good. And you're basically practically very close to being done. I like the fact that your game looks realistic and resembles a professional game. Is your game mechanic a personal best time sort of thing or is it points based? Will you have obstacles or will it have to be about not crashing the car into the sides of the road? It looks stunning so far and very polished, no doubt the game will be fun to play. I hope I get the chance to play it! Will you be able to chose your own car also? Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Megan!I can't believe how your game looks, I was looking at the video you showed me and it came with prebuilt sounds and everything! Thank you for including the link to the assets as I need to add some textures and trees to my prototype so it's very handy. Will you have any powerups built into the game to make your car drive faster? I think that will be a good idea, also is there going to be a timer or is it just racing to the finish line? Will you also be adding textures to the car or is the car just going to look silver? Anyway I can't wait to play your game It looks incredible so far!- Anna Zurawska

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan wow great job on the game and I agree with you when I actually started make the game in unity I was nervous too. But it helped having tutorials to look back on for help. You game so far looks amazing its plane to see you put a lot of work into this. Ya mistyping in a c#script can be a pain in the ass when you don,t know what the problem is. Also I have to ask how will you add color to the car will you just add a texture to it. As for me I just made the camera a child of my player it felt the easiest solution to me but your way is interesting hope it continues to go well for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Megan, im super impressed with your prototype, i looks like its coming along nicely, i think the vision for your game is amazing and you have a clear direction you are planning to take, have you tried adding shadier to your car yet? i think that will add some texture and make it stand out. you have made incredible progress so far!!

    best of luck with the rest of the development, im looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Megan I hope that you are doing well, I really enjoyed the blog and also really loved your prototype. The racing games are a classic and really enjoyable to play and finish. Will it be similar to how Mario Kart is with power-ups? The track itself looks really easy to follow as you made it clear by raising the edges. Will there also be a finish line with nice designs put into it and a huge display or just a basic black & white checked line? Overall I think the game looks great and I wish you luck on the next stages of moving the vehicle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Megan I just read your prototype there and wow. I have to say well done because your track looks amazing and it shows you have put a lot of effort into this, it looks so professional. I am very impressed. I really can't wait to test your game out it seems like it'll be a lot of fun. I agree adding trees to your game definetly gives the game a nice touch. Hope your game goes well for you I'm excited to see and possibly play it! I hope you're finding second year enjoyable, best of luck this semester!
    -Mia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Megan! I've already read your introduction post so thought I would come and read your prototype and first playable. Wow I can't believe how much you achieved in just 3 hours, the game looks really great. You look like you're way further along in the development and if you keep going at the same speed each week you'll be finished in no time! Hope it goes well and I'm excited to go read First Playable now to see how much more you have done.

    ReplyDelete